All dogs deserve dog food with high-quality nutrition, but Dobermans need food that will keep them lean but still allows them to be active. Dobermans are prone to some health issues that can also be treated and prevented by feeding them the right food.
Since Dobermans grow very quickly, you will also want to be sure to find a great puppy food formula that will help your puppy develop at the correct speed.
Best Doberman Dog Food:
Merrick Grain-Free Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food
One of the highest rated dog foods for Dobermans is Merrick’s Grain-Free Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food. This dog food contains no grain or soy products. One of the best things about this dog food is that it is 70 percent meat or fish sourced ingredients.
The main protein sources are buffalo, chicken meal and salmon meal. The other 30 percent is made from fresh produce, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas and blueberries.
- Great source of protein for your dog with 38% protein in every serving
- No ingredients from China, so you can rest assured that the ingredients are safe for your dog
- Glucosamine to support healthy joints
- Contains potatoes, which is filling for your pet, but doesn’t supply a lot of nutrients
AvoDerm Natural Chicken Meal and Brown Rice Formula Large Breed Dog Food
AvoDerm Natural Chicken Meal and Brown Rice Formula Large Breed Dog Food is a great option for Doberman Pinschers, because it doesn’t contain any wheat, corn or artificial colors, but is an excellent source of protein and healthy fats.
This dog food contains chondroitin and glucosamine, which are good for healthy joints. This may help prevent issues with hip dysplasia, which is very common in Dobermans.
- Avocado and avocado oil help keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy.
- Contains a good amount of Vitamin A, which is healthy for your dog’s eyes, coat, skin, and bones.
- Contains antioxidants that support a healthy immune system.
- Contains grains, which don’t provide as much nutritional value as some other ingredients.
- Doesn’t contain a large number of produce ingredients, so a lot of the nutrients are supplements.
Orijen Six Fish Dog Food Formula Dog Food
4.8 out of 5
Price per lb.
$3.39 per lb.
Orijen dog foods are rated some of the best you can buy, and Orijen Six Fish Dog Food Formula is no exception. This particular dog food is 85 percent wild caught fish ingredients, which means that it is an excellent source of protein and healthy fats and oils. The other 15 percent of the ingredients are fruits, vegetables or botanicals.
Two-thirds of the fish found in this dog food is fresh or raw, including the top six fish-based ingredients, such as Atlantic mackerel, Atlantic herring, and Acadian redfish. Other fish products include Atlantic flounder, Atlantic monkfish, and silver hake. Each 13-pound bag contains nine and a half pounds of fish.
- It is appropriate for dogs of all ages
- Contains 9 1/2 pounds of fish per 13-pound bag
- Vegetables in this food include pumpkin, kale, spinach, carrots and mustard greens
- Made in the United States
- It is one of the most expensive dog foods on the market
Castor & Pollux Organix Chicken and Brown Rice Dog Food
Castor & Pollux is considered one of the top organic dog food companies, so your Doberman would be lucky to eat Castor & Pollux Organix Chicken and Brown Rice Dog Food Formula. This dog food contains corn, wheat or soy, and the number one ingredient is organic, free-range chicken.
Other ingredients in this dog food formula include organic brown rice and fresh organic fruits and vegetables, such as peas, apples, and carrots.
- Made in a certified organic kitchen in the United States
- Comes in a variety of sizes ranging from 5.25 to 25 pounds
- Contains organic flaxseed, which is great for healthy skin and coat
- Inexpensive for high-quality food
- Only 27 percent crude protein per bag, which is on the lower end of the spectrum in comparison to other premium dog foods
Victor Hi-Pro Plus Formula Dog Food
Victor Hi-Pro Plus Formula Dog Food is the best of all worlds when it comes to dog foods. This dog food formula contains 83 percent meat products, 7 percent plant and vegetable products and 10 percent wholesome grains.
This dog food is highly recommended for pregnant and lactating female dogs, as well as puppies. This dog food is perfect for Dobermans because it contains some different protein products from many different protein sources. The protein will give your Doberman energy to run and stay fit.
- Well-rounded dog food that contains 30 percent protein
- Available in many different sizes, including 5- and 50-pound bags
- Contains a number of different meat products, including beef, chicken, pork, and fish
- Contains grains, which many brands exclude for other protein or produce ingredients.
Newman’s Own Organics Grain-Free Turkey and Liver Dinner Canned Dog Food
This dog food is 95 percent turkey and liver. There are no grains in this dog food. The top three ingredients in this dog food are organic turkey, organic poultry broth, and organic turkey liver. These ingredients provide your pet with top quality protein sources.
This wet dog food is ideal for older dogs or dogs with dental issues. However, it won’t help clean your Doberman Pinscher’s teeth like most dry foods would. Unfortunately, this food doesn’t contain a significant number of produce ingredients, and most of the vitamins and minerals come from supplements.
- Made up of 95 percent meat products
- Made with only organic products.
- First three ingredients are protein based
- Wet food doesn’t help keep your pet’s teeth clean
- Only comes in 12.7 and 5.5 oz cans
- Contains many supplements instead of fruits and vegetables
Best Puppy Food for Dobermans
Precise Naturals Large and Giant Breed Puppy Formula Dog Food
Precise Naturals Large and Giant Breed Puppy Formula is perfect for Doberman Pinscher puppies because it is full of ingredients that will help your large breed puppy grow at the proper rate with strong, healthy bones and muscles.
While there are some different proteins in this dog food, but only 23 percent of this food is crude protein, which isn’t as high as many other foods in the area.
- Made specifically for large and giant breed puppies
- Number one ingredient is chicken meal
- Contains the proper calcium to phosphorus ratio to ensure proper growth rate
- Doesn’t contain fruits and vegetables, so vitamins and minerals come from supplements.
NutriSource Large Breed Puppy Chicken and Rice Formula Dog Food
4.9 out of 5
Price per lb.
$1.56 per lb.
Doberman puppies are in need of food that will help them grow big and strong. NutriSource Large Breed Puppy Chicken and Rice Formula Dog Food is great because it is formulated to help your puppies’ bones and muscles develop at the correct rate.
This food is also easy to digest, which is crucial for puppy tummies because they are very sensitive.
- Comes in a variety of sizes, including bags as small as 6.6 pounds and as large as 30 pounds
- Contains 26 percent crude protein and 14 percent crude fat
- Helps puppies grow at the proper rate to ensure health
- Although still affordable, it is one of the more expensive puppy foods on the market
Holistic Select Large and Giant Breed Puppy Health Lamb and Oatmeal Recipe Dog Food
Holistic Select Large and Giant Breed Puppy Health Lamb and Oatmeal Recipe Dog Food is specially created with your puppy’s total health in mind. Your Doberman Pinscher puppy will enjoy a healthy blend of lamb, chicken and fish meals for a great source of protein.
DHA in this food will keep your Doberman puppy’s eyes and brain healthy while they develop. This puppy food will provide your Doberman puppy with excellent sources of protein, as well as vitamins and minerals from a variety of different fruits and vegetables including apples, peas, papaya, and kelp.
- Uses only natural preservatives
- Number one ingredient is lamb meal
- Contains superfoods like blueberries and pomegranate
- Doesn’t come in small bags if you want to try it before committing permanently
Ingredients to Know:
Common dog food ingredients to look for when feeding a Doberman Pinscher include high-quality protein ingredients. Excellent protein sources are those that whole meat or meat meals, such as chicken, beef, fish and lamb.
All dogs also need healthy fats, as many vitamins that your dog needs are fat-soluble. You will want fat sources such as chicken fat and fish oil, as these will allow essential vitamins your dog needs to be absorbed. Fish oil also contains Omega-3 fatty acid, which is great for healthy skin and coat.
Common Health Problems:
Doberman Pinschers are prone to some serious health problems. One of the leading causes of death in Dobermans is dilated cardiomyopathy. This healthy condition affects more Dobermans than any other breed. Approximately 40 percent of all dogs diagnosed with the condition are Doberman Pinschers. This condition results in an enlarged heart that will become overloaded and lead to heart failure.
Other common issues include hip dysplasia, which can be worsened by additional weight. You will want to make sure that you are keeping your dog in a healthy weight range to prevent aggravating the condition. Keeping your dog healthy and trim can lead to it never experiencing any discomfort from the condition, which affects many large dog breeds.
Hypothyroidism is another common health issue in Dobermans. The worst part of this condition is that it leads to weight gain, which can lead to hip dysplasia issues. If your dog suddenly starts to gain weight, you will want to get them checked for this condition.
Finding a great dog food can be challenging, but it can be even more difficult when you own a large or giant breed dog, as they require different nutritional needs. Picking the best food for your dog is quick and easy with just a little bit of research.
Select food that is high in protein and healthy fats that also contains a number of vitamins and minerals. Check with your vet before changing dog foods. This will ensure that you don’t feed your dog something that will upset its stomach and that you are keeping it on the right nutritional track.