Golden Retrievers are viewed as some of the most loyal dogs around. Why not repay that loyalty by making sure your dog has the best nutrition available? Read more to find out about some great dog food products that you may want to consider for the lucky Golden Retriever in your life.
Ideal Golden Retriever Diet
Since Golden Retrievers are generally between 55 and 75 pounds and part of the Sporting group, these dogs need excellent nutrition. Since Golden Retrievers have a water-repellant coat, you will want to make sure you keep that coat nice and healthy with food that contains healthy fats. Omega fatty acids are very important for dogs with long coats.
Protein is always important for dogs, but you will want to make sure that your Golden Retriever’s food is at least 25 percent protein. Make sure this protein is made up of real meat and meat meals, not meat by-products.
You will want to avoid corn, soy and sugar, as these ingredients don’t provide any nutritional benefits and are not healthy for your pet.
Best Golden Retriever Dog Food:
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Dog Food
If you are looking for a dog food that is high in protein, but doesn’t skimp on other quality ingredients, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe might be the option for you. Each bowl of this food is at least 34 percent quality protein from chicken, chicken meal and turkey meal.
The combination of protein and carbohydrates will give your dog enough energy to lead the active lifestyle that it was born to live. Like other products in this brand, this food contains LifeSource Bits that protects heat-sensitive nutrients, so they will still get into your pet’s system.
- Contains no poultry by-products
- Has a great blend of calcium, phosphorus and other vitamins to keep your pet’s teeth and bones healthy
- Contains both Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which help keep your Golden Retriever’s skin and coat healthy
- Some people view this food to be too expensive
- Many reviews state that the owner’s dog wouldn’t eat the food.
Fromm Gold Large Breed Dog Food
4.8 out of 5
Price per lb.
$1.41 per lb.
Fromm Gold Large Breed Dog Food contains many different protein products, which means that your dog will get a variety of various nutrients and flavors. Although the food contains duck, chicken, chicken meal, lamb and fish meal, protein only accounts for 23 percent of this food.
Other essential ingredients are chicken fat and salmon oil, which are healthy fats that will help your Golden Retriever absorb a number of vitamins and minerals.
- Great price and size selection
- Contains oatmeal and brown rice, which are good for sensitive stomachs
- Includes a large number of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Niacin, Calcium and Zinc
- Contains cheese, which isn’t usually an ingredient in dog food
- Doesn’t have as much protein as many other dog foods on the market.
Merrick Grain-Free Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food
4.7 out of 5
Price per lb.
$2.25 per lb.
Merrick’s Grain-Free Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food is another great choice for Golden Retrievers. The top five ingredients in this dog food formula are deboned buffalo, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, turkey meal and salmon meal.
Of all the ingredients, 70 percent are from meat and fish sources. The other 30 percent come from fruits and vegetables. The fact that simple ingredients are used means that your dog won’t get a bunch of artificial ingredients that it doesn’t need.
- Has received 4.7 stars from customers
- Contains no ingredients from China
- Ingredients sourced from local farmers
- Has a very high level of protein (38 percent) that can be too much for dogs that aren’t highly active
- Contains potatoes, which are high in starch
Wellness CORE Grain-Free Large Breed Dog Food
For a food that is made especially for large breed dogs, check out Wellness CORE Grain-Free Large Breed Dog Food. This formula has larger kibbles that are easier for large breed dogs to eat. The top three ingredients in this formula are chicken, chicken meal and turkey meal.
Other key ingredients are blueberries, peas, kale, sweet potatoes, carrots, and apples. The fruits and vegetables in this food provide a number of vitamins and minerals that your Golden Retriever needs.
- Contains no meat by-products or fillers
- Doesn’t contain grain, corn, soy or wheat-gluten
- Contains a flax omega blend that promotes healthy skin and coat
- More expensive than most dog foods on the market
- Contains starchy potatoes
Evanger’s Grain-Free Meat Lover’s Medley Dog Food
4.7 out of 5
Price per lb.
$2.20 per lb.
Evanger’s Grain-Free Meat Lover’s Medley Dog Food is perfect for Golden Retrievers in all stages of life. This unique dog food combines rabbit, beef and pork.
With ingredients like cranberries, blueberries, kelp, sweet potato and peas, you know that your Golden Retriever is getting a high dose of vitamins and minerals in every bowl. Since this company likes to focus on nutrient density, there are no grains to give your dog a sense of fullness without all the nutrients.
- Appropriate for all stages of life
- Contains no corn, soy or wheat
- Made in the United States
- Awarded Top Approved Dry Dog Food by Whole Dog Journal
- Contains a lower level of fat in each bag than many other dog foods
- The first ingredient isn’t whole meat, but instead beef meal
Best Puppy Food for Golden Retrievers:
Diamond Natural Large Breed Puppy Food
4.7 out of 5
Price per lb.
$1.12 per lb.
As part of the large breed group, Golden Retriever puppies need specialized nutrition. Diamond Natural Large Breed Puppy Food will give your Golden Retriever puppy just what it needs. The first ingredient in this high-quality dog food is lamb.
In each bowl, you will have at least 15 percent fat, which is healthy for growing all growing puppies. This brand of dog food contains healthy fats including salmon oil. Diamond Natural Large Breed Puppy Food is an excellent choice for puppies with digestive issues, as it contains white rice.
- Contains live microorganisms that are naturally occurring
- At least 27 percent of each bowl is protein
- Full of vitamins and minerals including Vitamin E, Zinc, and Selenium
- Contains white rice, which doesn’t contain as much protein as brown rice and contains more starch
- Contains potatoes, which are often viewed as fillers in dog food.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Puppy Food
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Puppy Food’s Chicken Formula is perfect for growing Golden Retriever puppies because it is grain-free and full of protein. Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog foods contain some of the highest amounts of protein on the market. At least 35 percent of each bowl of this dog food is protein, and 14 percent is healthy fats.
This food contains what the company calls LifeSource Bits, which include a large number of vitamins and minerals, which will give your pup a health boost. The LifeSource Bits also help keep your dog’s immune system healthy and are good for all life stages.
- The first ingredient is deboned chicken
- Doesn’t contain corn, wheat or soy
- All preservatives are natural
- May contain too much protein for some puppies
- Only available in 24-pound bags
Wellness CORE Grain-Free Air-Dried Puppy Food
Wellness CORE Grain-Free Air-Dried Puppy Food supports healthy growth with a balanced formula of proteins and fats. This formula contains chicken, turkey, and salmon, all of which are excellent sources of protein and are the first three ingredients listed on the package.
Other great ingredients include spinach, broccoli, peas and carrots. The DHA in this dog food will help your puppy’s brain and eyes develop.
- Contains no grain, corn, soy or wheat-gluten
- Free of artificial colors, flavors and preservatives
- No meat by-products or fillers are in this puppy food formula
- Only available in 2-pound bags, which isn’t going to be ideal for a large breed puppy
- It is pretty expensive in comparison to other foods on the market
Ingredients to Know:
Like all dogs, Golden Retrievers require a quality protein source, such as chicken or beef. You should look for foods with a protein source as one of the first ingredients. If the first ingredient is grain, you should be concerned. Both whole meats and meat meals should be considered good sources of protein.
Healthy fats are good for your dog, as many vitamins are fat-soluble and require fat to be useful. You will want to look for things like chicken fat and fish oil, which are healthy fat sources.
Stay away from artificial preservatives like BHA and BHT, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors and artificial colorings. These are just unnecessary ingredients that don’t do anything for your pet.
Common Health Problems:
Hip dysplasia is common in all large dogs, but Golden Retrievers are ranked 36th in the list of the top dogs to get the disease. They are even more likely to develop elbow dysplasia. You can start preventing the disease by feeding your Golden Retriever puppy food that encourages slow growth.
Secondly, you will want to make sure that you keep your dog in a healthy weight range, as the unnecessary weight will increase the chance that your dog develops these diseases.
Cancer is another common health issue for Golden Retrievers. It is hard to determine what exactly can help prevent canine cancer, but many people suggest that you choose foods without artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives.
Armed with all this information, you will be able to find the perfect food for your Golden Retriever. Be sure to check with your vet before switching dog foods and transition to new foods slowly, so you don’t upset your Golden Retriever’s digestive system. Regardless of what dog food you choose for your beloved pet from the ones above, you will have a happy, healthy pet.